Modern tools and equipment provides us the opportunity to live a healthier and more convenient life but what if you do not have the means to afford this type of luxuries even if they are so basic like clean pure water or alkaline water or if faced during emergency or natural disaster, how do you make safe drinking water?
You can create a home made alkaline water filter system by using common forest items that will allow siphoning of water thru the use of charcoal and moss as a filtering agent.
- Birch branch or bark
- Willow bark
- Spagnum moss
- Gravel or Pebbles
- Grass Mesh (non poisonous grass)
Steps to follow
- Make a cone of birch bark, punch a hole in the bottom of the cone, tie the cone with rope to keep it from opening up
- Place the filter material at the bottom of the cone. Filter materials can be made out of two inches of pebbles, a grass mesh, or cotton cloth
- Add a layer of gravel to strengthen the filter material and prevent the sand to mixed with the water you get from the filter.
- Fill the cone with sand
- Collect water, pour the collected water through the filter and catch it using another container or cone made from the birch branch or bark
- If the water is clear, then it is ready for purification if not repeat the process to pass the water through the filter one more time.
- Add a layer of charcoal (gravel size) between the gravel and sand layer to purify the water.
- Once the water has been filtered and purified, it can be used as drinking water, or to cook food, or to cleanse wounds.
This type of skills are important for wilderness survival, or in cases of natural disaster like earthquake, flood, typhoon, tsunami, hurricane and forest fire. Knowing how to create potable water wherever you are, whatever the circumstance is may mean saving your life and the ones you love.